|Version:||2.2.0||Joomla! 2.5 M|
Have you ever wanted to add more Icon/Links to the Control Panel for quick access to other parts of your Joomla! backend. The KC Admin QuickIcons module allows the administrator to define extra Control Panel icons to quickly link to other extensions or administrator backend functions.
The KC Admin QuickIcons administrator module allows the administrator to add up to 15 more quick access links to the Joomla! backend administrator control panel. Each link has a text label and can have an icon from the bluestork template or you can use your own custom icon (48px x 48px). The module uses the access levels setup for each of the functions you add a quick icon for. So you can set up some icons and they will only be visible for backend users that have the access levels to view them.
Change Log - Joomla! 1.6-1.7-2.5
2.2.0 - Added the ability to open links in a new browser window, fixed strict standard warnings, fixed typo in language file
2.1.1 - Feature additions: ablilty to choose css file to match module Position or add your own custom css file, ability to order the icons, added 5 more icons. Alternative layout added to modules advanced features. Changed DS to / so the module will work on localhost and Windows installs.
2.0.1Beta - Support for installations in a sub-directory added
2.0.0Beta - Initial Release
Installation & Upgrade Instructions - Joomla! 1.6-1.7-2.5
Follow these instructions to install the module for the first time or to upgrade to a new version of the module.
- Login to the backend of your Joomla! site as an Administrator or Super Administrator
- Under the Extensions menu go to Install/Uninstall
- Click the Browse button in the Upload Package File box
- Find the mod_kc_admin_quickicons-x.x.x.zip file that you previously stored on your hard drive and click Open
- Click the Upload & Install button beside the Browse button
- The module will be installed
- Under the Extensions menu go to Module Manager, select Administrator type modules in the top right pulldown menus
- Find the KC Admin QuickIcons module and click the title to edit it (if the module is not in the list, click the new button and select KC Admin QuickIcons module)
- Change the Position to "icon" or "title", hide the Title, set the Access to Special and enable/publish the module. Change the CSS Layout to title.css if you set the Position to "title". You can also upload your own custom css file to the /administrator/modules/mod_kc_admin_quickicons/css folder
- Save the module
- If you set the Position to "icon" and want your Quick Icon links to display after the standard Joomla! Quick Icons, reorder the module so it is after the Quick Icons module, if you set the Position to "title"
Check the Updater periodically for new versions of the module. A new version can be updated using the updater, the currently installed version does not need to be uninstalled before upgrading.
Adding Admin Quick Icons
The module comes with a Quick Icon setup for the Module Manager. Lets assume that you want to add a quick link to clean the cache. To add more quick icons follow these steps:
- Edit the KC Admin QuickIcons module by clicking on its title
- Find the next empty Icon Label (if you just installed the module, that would be Icon Label 2)
- Add text for this icon's Icon Label, in our example we would add "Clean Cache"
- Add the link to the extension or administrator function you want this icon to link to. It should start with index.php?option=. In our example we would add index.php?option=com_cache. Note if you want to add an edit link the format for the link should be:
index.php?option=com_content&task=article.edit&id=xx or index.php?option=com_modules&task=module.edit&id=xx,
where xx is the id of the article you want to edit. if you use the format:
the ACL will disallow the user access to the article.
- Now we can either select one of the icons from the administrator khepri template from the pulldown menu or use our own custom icon image. If you want to use one of the system icons, use the pulldown menu and select the icon you would like to use. In our example we could use the icon-48-config.png image
- If we don't want to have a custom icon we leave the Custom Icon radio button set to No. If we want to use our own Custom Icon we would change the radio button to Yes. Setting the Custom Icon radio button to Yes will override the Icon image selected in the Icon pulldown menu
- If we set the Custom Icon field to Yes we need to set the path to the icon. For Joomla! 2.5 the module assumes that the icon image file will be in the /administator/images folder. If you have the custom image is in a sub-folder you would enter the folder(s) in the Custom Icon Path field. For example if your custom icon was in the /administator/images/kc_admin_quickicons/icons or administrator/modules/mod_kc_admin_quickicons/images/icons folder your would enter kc_admin_quickicons/icons, in the field. Note that you do not start the path with a / or end the path with a /
- If we set the Custom Icon field to Yes we need to set the custom icon image filename. Enter the filename of the custom icon image including its file extension. For example cache_icon.png. Note that the custom icom image should be at most 48x48 pixels in size.
- Repeat these steps for each custom icon that you need.
See this tip on how to have the icons visible other than just in the control panel: http://www.keashly.net/forum/2-kc-admin-quickicons/423-cool-tip#423
Download the Module
The KC Admin QuickIcons module is released under the GNU GPL license, please read and agree to these terms before downloading the software.
Download the Joomla! 1.6-1.7-2.5 latest version of the module
Please use our Support Forum to request help or report a bug.