Version: 1.0.4 Joomla! 1.5 M
Have you ever wanted to add more Icon/Links to the Control Panel for quick access to other parts of your Joomla! backend. The KC Admin QuickIcons module allows the administrator to define extra Control Panel icons to quickly link to other extensions or administrator backend functions.
This information is only for the Joomla! 1.5 version of this module. The Joomla! 3.x version information can be found here and the Joomla! 2.5 version information can be found here .
The KC Admin QuickIcons administrator module allows the administrator to add up to 10 more quick access links to the Joomla! backend administrator control panel. Each link has a text label and can have an icon from the khepri template or you can use your own custom icon (48px x 48px). You can also set what access level will see the link. So you can set up some icons for Managers (and above), for Administrators (and above) or just for Super Administrators.
Change Log - Joomla! 1.5
1.0.4 - Changed DS to / so the module will work on localhost and Windows installs.
1.0.3 - Bug fix for php error if a user didn't have any icons set for it
1.0.2 - Changed the method used to access default icons, added custom icon radio button, documentation updated.
1.0.0 - Initial release
Installation & Upgrading
Installation & Upgrade Instructions - Joomla! 1.5
Follow these instructions to install the module for the first time or to upgrade to a new version of the module.
- Login to the backend of your Joomla! site as an Administrator or Super Administrator
- Under the Extensions menu go to Install/Uninstall
- Click the Browse button in the Upload Package File box
- Find the mod_kc_admin_quickicons-x.x.x.zip file that you previously stored on your hard drive and click Open
- Click the Upload & Install button beside the Browse button
- The module will be installed
- Under the Extensions menu go to Module Manager, click the Administrator link in the top left grey bar (beside Site)
- Find the KC Admin QuickIcons module and click the title to edit it
- Change the Position to "icon" and enable the module
- Save the module
- If you want your Quick Icon links to display after the standard Joomla! Quick Icons, reorder the module so it is after the Quick Icons module
A newer version of the module can be installed without uninstalling the current version. Just go to Extensions > Install/Uninstall, browse for the new version of of the module and install it.
Adding Admin Quick Icons
The module comes with a Quick Icon setup for the Module Manager. Lets assume that you want to add a quick link to clean the cache. To add more quick icons follow these steps:
- Edit the KC Admin QuickIcons module by clicking on its title
- Find the next empty Icon Label (if you just installed the module, that would be Icon Label 2)
- Add text for this icon's Icon Label, in our example we would add "Clean Cache"
- Add the link to the extension or administrator function you want this icon to link to. It should start with index.php?option=. In our example we would add index.php?option=com_cache.
- Now we can either select one of the icons from the administrator khepri template from the pulldown menu or use our own custom icon image. If you want to use one of the system icons, use the pulldown menu and select the icon you would like to use. In our example we could use the icon-48-config.png image
- If we don't want to have a custom icon we leave the Custom Icon radio button set to No. If we want to use our own Custom Icon we would change the radio button to Yes. Setting the Custom Icon radio button to Yes will override the Icon image selected in the Icon pulldown menu
- If we set the Custom Icon field to Yes we need to set the path to the icon. For Joomla! 1.5 the module assumes that the icon image file will be in the /administator/images folder. If you have the custom image is in a sub-folder you would enter the folder(s) in the Custom Icon Path field. For example if your custom icon was in the /administator/images/kc_admin_quickicons/icons or administrator/modules/mod_kc_admin_quickicons/images/icons folder your would enter kc_admin_quickicons/icons. Note that you do not start the path with a / or end the path with a /
- If we set the Custom Icon field to Yes we need to set the custom icon image filename. Enter the filename of the custom icon image including its file extension. For example cache_icon.png. Note that the custom icom image should be at most 48x48 pixels in size.
- For Joomla! 1.5 set the access level for this icon. Setting the Access Level to Manager will display the custom icon for Managers, Administrators and Super Administrators, setting the level to Administrator will display for Administrators and Super Administrators and setting the level for Super Administrators will display only for Super Administrator type users.
- Repeat these steps for each custom icon that you need.
See this tip on how to have the icons visible other than just in the control panel: http://www.keashly.net/forum/2-kc-admin-quickicons/423-cool-tip#423
Download the Module
The KC Admin QuickIcons module is released under the GNU GPL license, please read and agree to these terms before downloading the software.
Download the Joomla! 1.5 latest version of the module.
Please use our Support Forum to request help or report a bug.